Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hoops: First Appointments Made!

OK people!! This is happening!  (Well the things that have to happen so that the things that need to happen before the other thing can happen are happening.)  I called to make my appointment at the Bariatric Center.  I was pleased that all I had to say was, "I went to the Seminar...now what?" and the lady on the other end knew exactly what to do. 

Although she wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy, she did know exactly what I needed to be scheduled for and how far apart the appointments had to be.  They gave me the first appointments available...which was mid-January. Even though that's about 5 weeks away, it's ok because my insurance doesn't kick in until January 1st.  Also, it gives me a little time to get in to see my Primary Care Physician and get her on board with this whole thing. Fun.

My group nutritional appointment is January 16th, 2014 and is from 8:30a-11:00am.  Then I have my hour long History and Physical Appointment January 23rd, 2014.  Finally, on February 11th at 9am I have my one-on-one 30 minute nutritionist appointment. 

Technically only 2 nutritionist appointments are required, so in theory, this could be all I need.  I really didn't expect to get all these appointments to soon!  I am just anticipating to be met with so much resistance and to have to fight tooth and nail the whole way to make this happen.  I am also struggling to really appreciate all the steps they have you take and view them as tools that will help me succeed post-surgery instead of obstacles I have to get around so I can get the surgery.  I'm already thinking of things I should say and trying to figure out what they want to hear.  Instead of that I should just work on DOING those things!

Like chewing a zillion times before swallowing.  And writing in a food journal every day.  And exercising.  And taking my diabetes and blood pressure meds (which I have been doing).  And eating high protein. And watching my portions.  And cutting out junk food.  And taking my vitamins.

Wow. That sounds like a  lot of work.  I think that between now and my appointments I need to really focus on getting my mind around this.  I need to wake up out of this FOG.  I need to start watching what I eat and exercising. I spend a lot of my life hiding from it.  Hiding from life I mean.  The thing about life, though, is that it doesn't spend a lot of time looking for you. Doesn't send a search party.  Just kinda keeps going...passes you right by.  I need help.

I know that I have to see a therapist of some sort to deal with my food issues.  I tried that already early this year....it helped and didn't help.  I couldn't open up.  I didn't want to talk about things.  I liked the person I was seeing, but maybe she wasn't as good a fit as I thought?  I don't know. 

There is a Weight Loss Surgery support group that's affiliated with the Bariatric Center.  They meet once a month and it's free of charge.  I am going tomorrow.  Maybe hearing from people that are going through this and have gone through it will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment